Abrdn European property fund in €500m deals

Abrdn said its European Balanced Property Fund is making a number of acquisitions in the logistics, hotels and senior living sectors for a total of €500 million after winning new commitments from investors.

The European Balanced Property Fund is an open-ended fund designed for institutional investors with a strategy to invest in office, logistics, retail and mixed-use properties in the Eurozone.

Following the acquisition of a hotel in Munich for €26 million and a newly built logistics unit in Cuijk in The Netherlands for €43 million, the fund has also acquired a logistics portfolio in Paris and Lille for €213 million, all of which are fully leased.

Two more fully pre-let, newly built logistics units in Lyon (€23m) and Rotterdam (€38m) are due to be completed soon and added to the portfolio.

The fund has also agreed to acquire two forward funding pre-let senior-living assets in Paris and a logistics unit in Helsinki for a total of €160 million.

Abrdn fund manager Gert-Jan Kapiteyn said: “Last year the fund received approval from investors to invest in PRS residential, as well as hotels, self-storage, and senior living and student halls alongside its existing investments in offices, logistics and retail.

“The fund is taking the opportunity to invest further into these sectors with strong demand/supply dynamics and excellent return prospects in major cities across the Eurozone.

“The portfolio is well diversified and defensively positioned with long leases (WAULT over 10 years), low gearing (13% LTV), high quality tenants and low vacancy (3%).

“And given the acceleration of inflation, 91% of income is linked to CPI, with the remaining 9% experiencing fixed uplifts.”

The fund has a strong ESG focus and has been awarded the highest 5-star rating by GRESB for 2021.

About the Author

Mark McSherry
Dalriada Media LLC sites are edited by veteran news journalist Mark McSherry, a former staff editor and reporter with Reuters, Bloomberg and major newspapers including the South China Morning Post, London's Sunday Times and The Scotsman. McSherry's journalism has also appeared in The Washington Post, The Guardian, The Independent, The New York Times, London's Evening Standard and Forbes. McSherry is also a professor of journalism and communication arts in universities and colleges in New York City. Scottish-born McSherry has an MBA from the University of Edinburgh and a Certificate in Global Affairs from New York University.